Thursday, February 03, 2011

Who let the brats out?

Listening to: 'Three Marlenas' by The Wallflowers [Bringing Down The Horse]

How do you deal with the insolent brats? How do you deal with the kids that think teachers should be at their beck and call? How do you deal with the kids that think the world revolves around them? How do you deal with the kids that ooze that annoying, ungrateful sense of entitlement that is all too common in the younger generation?

Do you slap them and tell them to respect their elders? Do you tell them to stop being such a self-absorbed whiny little piece of shit and quit whinging? Do you tell them that while you acknowledge the fact that they're probably somewhat intelligent, it doesn't mean that the sun shines out of their ass? Do you tell them that their sarcasm only serves to prove their immaturity and that they should get back to you when they've decided to grow up? Do you stick your tongue out at them and say "Oooh I'm scared now!" and roll your eyes? Do you look at them and say "Look at my face. Is my face bovvered?" and carry on like they don't exist?

I wanted to do all of the above this morning. To one person. Luckily, I managed to keep my cool and I explained the situation to them, and I said that if they had a problem with the teaching arrangements, they should speak to my superior. And then I went and told my superior that he might get a visit from an annoying little prick :D. It probably won't happen, 'cos these egotistical types tend to be quite cowardly. Still, I got confirmation from my superior that I had done the right thing, which made me feel better.

I love teaching. And I hate not being able to help students. But I am not a servant. I don't have to put up with shit from spoilt brats. I will go out of my way to help kids who are appreciative of my efforts, but the ones that throw their toys out will just have to wait their turn.

*sigh*

10 comments:

  1. Totally get what you mean, and that one spoilt brat can sometimes ruin a good teacher for the whole class. (I know lecturers who've refused to lecture whole classes because of a couple of idiots.) :/

    And you started teaching?! :D Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stop making them altogether.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you. I think it's also probably coz we're not 'white' Even kids have that ingrained in them :s

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chavie - Exactly. I had an excellent session until that retard decided to do his little peacock dance, and now that session is tainted for me.

    Sach - Er...you do realise these aren't my kids, yes?

    Cadence - Nah this kid wasn't white either. It's a generational thing. They don't know what it's like to struggle, because everything's been given to them on a silver platter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking along the same lines... except it was about an "adult" to whom i was assigned as a "supervisor"

    Now I'm really scared.... :S

    ReplyDelete
  6. Angel - Aww don't be scared! You get used to it. To be fair this isn't the first time I've experienced this...this kid just wound me up for some reason. My father assured me that I'll come across assholes like this even later in life :-|

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aah the little monsters! This sounds so much like my little girl when she returned from Dubai to live with me! She was just 9, but my ex had spoiled her silly.

    A few months later, she has turned in to the sweetest thing, but trust me, it took some serious measures... nope, no physical abuse or punishment, just logic and a few good chats - served in a cold platter in a way that she understands. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Serendib_Isle - I'm glad it worked out! But I think it's easier to mould kids when they're young (and yours!)...they're pretty much set by the time they get to uni, so we're forced to put up with them as they are!

    ReplyDelete
  9. trust me honey. its never easy.

    i love teaching too. its a different sort of profession that gives you a different sense of satisfaction. but today the generation is just indescribable to tolerate.
    my experiences with 'kids' have gone off limits and so why i quit. kids these days.

    and may the patience be with u.

    ReplyDelete

Speak now, or forever hold your peace (well not really)!