Monday, October 02, 2006

"Workin' 9 to 5..."

Listening to: some random (but nice) song on Radio 1

So it has begun. I am a first year postgraduate student at the University of Cambridge. My work week will be officially 40 hours long, and unofficially...as long as I want it to be. I walked into the department at around 9.30 this morning and drifted out at about 5pm. Nobody knew, nobody cared. It's a weird feeling...like office work without office regulations (and without the pay). I've started with a read-through of someone's PhD thesis, and so far, so good. Admittedly, I've only read 10 pages.

Now I have to go downstairs and make some dinner (for myself). I'm beginning to see why PhD students are perceived as being unsociable creatures.

1 comment:

  1. when u commit urself to studies and work it just tends to eat up all ur time and u simply can't think of anything else...if ppl have been thru such experiences they will know i guess....

    ReplyDelete

Speak now, or forever hold your peace (well not really)!