Wednesday, February 01, 2006

On comics and caricatures...

Listening to: 'In The Mood' by Glenn Miller & His Orchestra [Glenn Miller]

Yup, still listening to Glenn Miller. My toes suddenly go into 'tapping mode'...they seem to have a mind of their own. I want to jive! Jiving by oneself isn't the most enjoyable form of dancing though.

My voice is OK, but not as OK as I'd like it to be. I swear I've lost all lung power! I have one week and 2 days to prepare. Late nights don't help. Oh AND it's -0.4°C outside. Joy. I want some pol puchchala (i.e. "burnt coconut"). How else is my voice supposed to be ready for next week? Disaster, I tell you. The fact that I haven't performed on stage for ~4yrs doesn't help. Nerves. Can't even remember the words of the song. ONLY ONE WEEK MORE!!! I'm going insane. Need to calm down. See what sleep deprivation does to me?

Speaking of sleep deprivation...I woke up at 8.30am today, as opposed to the ideal 7.30am. Missed breakie and got into lectures about 10mins late, which wasn't bad, considering it was Rheology. Apparently I missed a tour of Australia (wonder how patronising he made that sound).

I read this article in the news today. While I'm all for freedom of the press and freedom of expression and all that, I think this is in bad taste. OK so the Danes thought they were being funny. But they offended an entire community, and could/should have put out a statement saying that they didn't mean to insult anyone. That would have been acceptable (in my eyes at least). End of story. But what happens? Suddenly it's in all the papers all over Europe, and they end up insulting other religions as well in the process. The way I see it...this is just a chance for some European journalists to bully social spheres that they know next to nothing about. Guys, grow a heart (and a brain while you're at it)! Surely there are bigger things going on in the world that they shouldn't have space in their papers to poke fun at people's beliefs. Another lovely quote (this time from Spider-man 2):
[Peter to Harry]:There are bigger things happening here than me and you.
The Spidey movies are FULL of cheesy, yet effective quotes. I love them! Can't wait for the next one to come out (I think that'll be next year). X-3 is coming out in Summer...woohoo!!! You can see I like my comic-->silverscreen movies. I'm more of a Marvel girl than a DC girl though. Don't get me wrong, Superman is cool...but there's something about Spidey that I love (can't put my finger on it right now). I don't think much of Batman...he's not a superhero in the 'superhuman' kinda way. Amazing strength of character and very resourceful (thanks to his handy bat-everythings), but nothing 'out of this world'. Being bitten by a mutant spider though...now how cool is that?!?!

Hmm...almost 10pm. I've actually done some work today. The beautiful people have been mostly staying out of my way, which is a relief. My blood pressure suffers when they're near. It's not so much my temper, but more so my tolerance levels.

Man I'm pooped. Methinks I shall shower and jump into bed, in hope of a better voice tomorrow morning.

Sweet dreams, stranger.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sure you're voice will be fine :) Just sing while you work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam, your voice is beautiful and noone here will know the difference anyway (i'm assuming it's for the SL dinner, and ppl will be too drunk on arrack anyway).

    sorry, but Batman's my man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I don't think much of Batman...he's not a superhero in the 'superhuman' kinda way."
    My sentiments exactly. I have been harping on about 'But he really isn't superhuman, he just has money' for years now...=D

    ReplyDelete

Speak now, or forever hold your peace (well not really)!