Thursday, November 20, 2008

Ranaviru Upahara

Listening to: 'I'm Yours' by Jason Mraz [We Sing. We Dance. We Steal Things.]

This week has been declared 'a week of tribute to the victorious military personnel' who were involved in the Pooneryn mission. As I sit at my computer in my cosy room, I think of the soldiers who are lying in muddy trenches, fully exposed to Mother Nature's fury, with only their weapons for comfort. As I contemplate which outfit to buy for Saturday's party, I think of the soldiers who are wearing the same blood-stained fatigues they've been wearing for the past month (if they're lucky). As I get all excited about seeing my parents next month, I think of the soldiers who don't know if they'll ever see their family again. As the Facebook invites for 31st night parties start rolling in, I feel sick as I think of the soldiers who will be laying their lives on the line throughout that night so that we can be merry. Sick...and proud. Oh so proud of our brave servicemen and women who continue to give their lives for my Mother Lanka. Our Mother Lanka.

I hope this war ends soon so that our countrymen can move beyond the past and set about enjoying the future, together, in a united Sri Lanka. Until then, my thoughts and prayers are with those who work towards making that future a reality.
Image courtesy Ministry of Defence

2 comments:

Speak now, or forever hold your peace (well not really)!